Diagnosis of prostate cancer brings forth a mixed variety of feelings — from anger to disbelief to depression. The good news is that various treatments for prostate cancer are now available, making it possible for newly-diagnosed patients to lead a healthy life following diagnosis. In addition, we often assure our patients here at our New York prostate treatment center practice that prostate cancer is slow-growing in comparison to other forms of cancer.
Learning about the disease and figuring out one’s treatment options are the initial steps to improving one’s outlook of the diagnosis and relieve feeling of anxiety.
To learn more about the condition and to be able to make an informed decision concerning diagnostic exams and treatments, it pays to ask questions. In addition, it may also be more worthwhile to record the conversation between you and your doctor so that you can review the answers.
The set of questions below could serve as a guide during your consultation following diagnosis of prostate cancer:
- What is the stage of my cancer? Has it already spread? If yes, how far?
- What additional tests do I need?
- What are my treatment options at this stage of my condition?
- What are the possible risks and benefits of the treatment you’re recommending?
- What possible side effects should I expect with this type of treatment?
- Is there something that I can do to improve the success of my preferred treatment?
- What do you think about me getting a second opinion?
- Do you know of any support group for people like me?
- Are there other available resources where I can read and learn more about my condition?
Prostate Cancer Detection and Treatment in New York
Here at our New York prostate cancer detection and treatment, we encourage our patients to always ask so they can come up with informed decisions. Call us now at 877-605-2737 or fill out this contact form to request a consultation. We look forward to helping you get the most suitable treatment following your diagnosis of prostate cancer.